Athens Airport Car Rental
Athens airport taxis might be convenient, and public transportation means affordable, yet nothing compares to independent car rentals. Car hire allows you to travel at your own pace. Plan your journey’s itinerary as you want, without having to hail a taxi or search the nearest bus stop or train station to reach your destination. Transferring around Athens city center is convenient via bus or metro. However, there are so many attractions to see besides downtown Athens. With a car rental, you can visit the nearby areas hassle-free. Historic sites, popular tourist towns, and numerous beaches are within proximity of your Athens accommodation and can be easily reached with a car rental.
On the other hand, what happens with the cost? The fare per day of a car rental can be heavy, especially when traveling on a budget. Nevertheless, Athens Airport hosts many car rental companies. Thus, if you take a look at the provided services and the required fees and compare them, you can end up with a top value for money option. Economy cars, compact vehicles, SUVs, and premium and mid-size car rentals are available at ATH Airport. Pick the right vehicle for you and enjoy your transfers!
Which Car Rental Companies are Present at El. Venizelos Airport?
Various car rental companies operate at Athens International Airport, providing premium services and offering appealing deals from time to time. Located on the north side of the main terminal, at the Arrivals area, the car rental kiosks are usually open 24/7, arranging the best car rental services for Athens airport passengers. Explicitly, the following car rental agencies are to be found at ATH Airport:
Useful Info about Athens Airport Car Rentals
- Even if car rental offices are often operating on a 24-h basis, making your reservation in advance will save you time at the airport and offer you access to a wider variety of vehicles and better deals.
- You should book your car rental as soon as possible. Early bookings usually come with top deals and offers.
- It may not be a rule, but most of the time, the longer the booking is, the lower the prices are.
- A credit card will be needed for your reservation.
- Minimum age of 21 years old is required for renting a car in Athens. However, some car types and luxurious models can be rented only by 25-years-old plus customers.
- Customers must own their driver’s license for 1 or 2 years before renting a car.
- Driver licenses from EU countries are usually accepted. Nevertheless, if this is not the case, you may have to issue an International Driver’s Permit.
- Younger drivers may have to pay an additional fee due to their lack of experience.
- Extra amenities, such as child seats, GPS, etc., are also provided, usually upon payment.
- It is highly recommended to take full insurance coverage for your car rental. In that way, you’ll be fully covered in the unfortunate case of an accident or a damage incident.
- Please take some pics of the vehicle before picking it up to be able to prove already existing damages.
- It is always better to refuel the vehicle by yourself before dropping it off. The car rental companies charge a much higher fee for fuel than the current fuel prices of the gas stations.
- Car rental agencies charge per day. Per 24 hours actually. Thus, you should be careful to return the car rental before the 24-h period. Otherwise, you may be charged for an extra day.
- Many car rental companies have their cars parked outside the main terminal. However, some are located further from the airport exit doors, and transfers to their parking area are handled by a shuttle bus.
- Greek drivers aren’t known for their obedience to traffic laws. Hence, you should pay attention during your transfers and respect the road’s legislation at all times.
How to rent a car in Greece at Athens Airport?
Car rental companies, 6 of them to be precise, are operating at Athens Airport. Their desks lie in the Arrivals area, on the north side of the main terminal building. Thus, if you opt for a car rental, you can either address one of the airport car rental offices or book your car in advance and pick it up as soon as you land at ATH Airport.
Do you need additional insurance when renting a car?
Do your homework before deciding on additional insurance! Firstly, you should check if your own car insurance extends to rental cars or if your credit card covers damages to rentals. If so is the case, additional insurance is not necessary.
Is it cheaper to wait to rent a car?
“The sooner, the better” tends to be the best way to ensure you get the best price for your car rental. Therefore, unless it is inevitable, you shouldn’t wait for a last-minute reservation.